Friday, November 21, 2008

Love takes time

I was watching today's Oprah show about SEX. I found out that I have been mistaken for a long time.
I always thought that you should love your partner as you would want to be love. You know the bible old saying about do to others what you would want done to you. I followed this bible principle into my relationships. I was so proud of myself. I would spend time doing all the things I wanted to be done to me. For example, I would write nice little notes telling my husband how wonderful I think he is. I have never wondered if he actually enjoys these gestures. I assume that since I would love it then he would too. How very self centered of me.
What i found out watching the show was that there is a language of love that we all have. So instead of doing the things that i would like done to me, i should ask him what gestures equate to love for him.
Can you imagine? I have been wrong all these years. I mean i consider myself pretty good at this love thing but i was completely wrong. So i am on a new mission: learn my sweetheart language of love. This should be interesting....

What about you, Do you know your significant other language of love or were you as clueless as i was?

5 comments:

  1. Hey there! I actually went to marriage counseling class in church b4 we got married. I found it very helpful. I knew my hubby's love language, but cannot remember it for the life of me. Maybe I need to revisit that and do the excercise again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watched the first Oprah Sex show, didn't watch Part II.

    Maybe you havent been completely mistaken all these years. Personally, the love language I love to receive is words of affirmation and quality time.

    I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was interesting to read, ya rite a lot of ladies tend to assume, if l love this, he would love this, guys tend to be more driven than ladies. What is passionate to a woman remains unpassionate to a guy.

    I am sure your hubby respects the notes but is happy seeing you in his life. I am not married yet but my boyfriend tends to value just looking at my face, talking to me, holding me versus love notes. Na love notes he go chop as he says.I guess it differs among couples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man this could not have been said better. Please pass this on to EVERYONE YOU KNOW...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally true, i agree with u on this. For my hubby n i, it took me a while to realize that he's more of a physical person while I'm just a sucker for written words and poetry so at a point i stopped bombarding him with all that and started showering him with a little touch, massage or cuddle every now and then we're together...on the other hand, he surprises me once in a while with notes and sms', and i think we made each other feel more appreciated by these seemingly little gestures.

    ReplyDelete