Thursday, December 11, 2008

I used to love to hate my body

Growing up i was told that the way you look does not matter. I guess to prove that point, my dad thought it would be funny to make fun of us. He would make fun of our forehead, our weight… My dad used to say that when he looks at me he knows that beauty is not hereditary. Hahaha... So i grew up hiding my curves and focusing on my school. Yet, secretly I always admired women that were comfortable in their own skin. There is something so sexy about a woman accepting her body for what it is and playing up her assets. For a very long time, I walked around knowing that I was cute but wanting so much more. Here was my wish list:

1. Have a 6 pack stomach
2. Have smaller hips
3. Have bigger boobs
4. Have smaller feet (size 7 preferably)
5. Have long and curly hair
6. Have flawless skin
7. Be a size 6
The end product would have been a mixture of Beyonce and Halle Berry.

I would not say that i hated my body. I just disliked some parts of it; would have gladly traded it for another one. I would have even gotten a boob job if I was not worry about dying and money. So when i got pregnant and gained 40 pounds i knew then that i should have been happier with the way i looked. Isn't it funny how we don't know what we have until it is gone. I would look at my old pictures and i would get so so sad. I was sad because i had wasted all these years not appreciating the way i looked. Why is it that we act like being “pretty” is something we worked for. Like some babies in the stomach were working extra hard and came out looking prettier than others.

I have spent more time worrying about the way I look than how I can impact the world. I have spent so much time picking myself apart and fearing to be judged that I forgot to see the beauty in me. But that was the past and now i can finally say that i loooooooooooove my body just the way it is. I would not trade it with anyone. (Sorry Beyonce) . I love everything every part of my body. Not in a cocky way but in a loving way. My stretch marks tell a story. The ones on my lower back is the story of my trip to Ivory Coast. Gosh i ate so much on that trip. The one on my stomach are from carrying my 9 pound and 4 ounces baby boy. Don't blame him blame the Indian restaurant i was going to on a daily basis. I love my nappy hair (hope i can say nappy) and understand that no amount of perm or hair extension would make me look like i am mixed. I am not mixed my parents are both from Cameroon and there is not a trace of white in our heritage. So yeah my hair is short and nappy and i love it.

I really can relate to my dear Ophrah who is finally coming out and saying that she has put on some weight. We all knew that already but she feels like she has let the public down. But why should she feel that way! The woman is 50 years old and looking damn good. We do not owe any excuses, apologies to anyone for the way we look. This is ridiculous, if we spend as much time worrying about our internal beauty then the world would be a better place. Here is my understanding, if you are looking for external approval you will never be too thin enough, too light or dark enough, too anything enough simply because beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. So since it is my body, I choose to be the only opinion that’s relevant. Of course I want my husband to find me attractive but nonetheless that can not and should not dictate the way I feel about me. At the end of the day there is something extremely sexy and attractive about a woman that loves who she is.

12 comments:

  1. very well said sandra. Wow you are so right. i agree that beauty is from inside and that one should appreciate one's self because there are lots of people who will pay lots of money to be like you. I will never want to look like beyonce, halle or even alicia keys. i love who i am and will never trade it for the world. so ladies love and pamper yourselves cause you are alllllll that and some more just the way God made you and me.
    keep writing gurl and take good care of yourself, stay precious and continue taking good care of my boy Dre and the darling lil ethan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said hon!!!i think Oprah shouldnt feel bad or even apologise..there is definitely somthing so sexy about a confident woman who's comfortable in her own skin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post!!! We should all definitely love and appreciate our looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone woman, even the ones we think look "perfect" find flaws that they wish they could change. Beauty is within. And when a woman embraces who she is, in all her glory, her confidence and sexiness radiates! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your article parroted somehow one of the issues my girlfriend and I were discussing on IM today. We had decided to get me back to the size i was 13 years ertswhile and that means slitting my belly-size into a third. I love my outlook but for the sake of being healthy and gallant, i have acquiesced to please my woman. However, i totally subscribe to ur points albeit I'm afraid I stand maybe the exception to that norm, atleast for as long as I would acquit myself perfectly in my endeavour for the sake of being altruistic.

    I have read your other posts and I would say your articles are so original and compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. visit me at: http://commonquarters.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. To karltz: There is nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy or even wanting to look healthy. That is usually a sign of self love. However, elf love also means accepting where one is. I know that i can never be a size 2. That would not be healty for me. I believe that we all have an ideal , healty weight. Mine is not to be a size 2 and i had to accept that. I am happy that you have decide to be healty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New YEar 2009, I miss you blogging, come back quick. Hope baby and you are doing great. later

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) every woman has her hang up about her body until she realizes she is extremely beautiful! just like you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It isn't what is outside that counts in my book, it's the person inside. Who you are and your attitude are what counts. Sexy resides within!

    ReplyDelete